Welcome to Hivemapper. Get familiar and learn how to build maps with Hivemapper using these guides, tutorials, and examples.
Can’t find your answer? Get in touch with our team Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Pacific and we’ll help email@example.com .
Hivemapper is a mapping service that helps you build 3D maps that see and reveal changes in the physical world. By uploading video you can build small (building) or large (entire cities) maps that help you understand what is changing. This step-by-step guide will cover the basics of getting started.
In order to use this guide you will need the following:
- A computer and internet connection - if you can see and use this map you are set.
- Sign up for a free account here hivemapper.com/signup
You can use our public maps on hivemapper.com/3D without creating an account. To build maps or use private maps you'll need to create a Hivemapper account.
In order to build fresh maps you need to collect some video. Hivemapper currently works best with airborne video with plans to support ground collection soon. Here are some guides Hivemapper has created for common collection methods.
- Collect video with commercial drones
- Collect video autonomously using commercial drones
- Collect video from an airplane (coming soon)
When uploading the video files make sure you are uploading from a location with a stable Internet connection.
- Sign in and go to your Dashboard page.
- Click the Upload button.
- Drag the sample video files and any corresponding metadata files into the uploader.
- Give your upload a name and click Upload to begin uploading videos.
- When the upload is complete you will receive an email notification, click Done.
Monitor your video's progress on the Dashbaord page. Depending on how many videos you uploaded this can take 30 mins or up to a few hours.
4View your map
Once Hivemapper transforms your video into a 3D map you can view your map.
- Go to your Dashboard.
- Select a video with some green in the progress bar.
- Click the "View all maps from this video" button.
- If you would like to see just the map of one of the segments Hivemapper created from this video you can click on one of those segments and click its "View 3D map" button.
Most videos will be automatically broken up into multiple segments. Some of these segments will successfully transform into a map (green), while others will fail (red). Segments in blue are still being processed.
- You are now viewing the 3D map for a single video segement. Cick on View Combined 3D Map.
- Viewing combined 3D map. In the combined map you are seeing all the videos that were transformed into a map.
Not all videos are mapped accurately enough to register to the global map, yet these videos will still be available as single standalone maps.
Learn all about using our map to search, get coordinates, measure, and more.
5View change detection
Change Detection automatically detects all changes in 3-dimensions. Change Detection requires a before and after.
- Open a Map.
- Turn on Change Detection with the button on the left toolbar.
- The Change Detection map will appear.
If you collected video in an area where we have LiDAR coverage you will see this map. If not, you will need to do another collection in same area to build Change Detection maps.
- Click the the first Change Detection map in the list under video-to-video changes.
- Click on any area in the map to reveal the before and after videos for that spot.
- Expand either video from the bottom right corner of video. Green bars on video timeline reveal all the places where your selected spot in #5 appear in the video.
Have questions or issues? Get in touch with our team firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll respond Mon-Fri 9am-5pm Pacific.